Return to portfolio
Shakkin’ Briggie
Heritage Group at Cults, Bieldside and Milltimber Community Council
Cults Bieldside and Milltimber Community Council Logo
The remains of the historic Shakkin’ Briggie is a well-known sightseeing spot along the River Dee near Cults in Aberdeen.

As part of a community-led project, Cults, Bieldside and Milltimber Community Council were looking to create a viewing platform around the north end of the B-listed ruinous bridge with landscaping, an improved footpath connection, a visitors seating area and a new information board to give more understanding about the bridge’s heritage.

Officially known as St Devenick’s Suspension Bridge, Shakkin’ Briggie, also known as Dr Morison’s bridge, was designed by City Architect John Smith in 1836 and opened in 1837. It was funded by the church minister, Rev. Dr. George Morsion and built to enable parishers to cross the river to attend church. 

A drawing of the new viewing platform at Shakkin' Briggie by T.H.E Architecture and Planning

Over the decades, floodwaters damaged the bridge and from 1955 onwards, the river shifted its course, sweeping away the southern approach span. In 1984, the decking was removed as a safety precaution and the bridge is now derelict.

T.H.E Architecture and Planning, aided the community council on a pro bono basis, advising on the planning process and listed building consent along with creating the designs for the new wheelchair accessible viewing terrace, preparing planning documentation and liaising with Aberdeen City Council’s planning department. 

With the site being located within the Pitfodels Conservation Area, preserving the character of the area was incorporated into the design and paving stones were chosen to harmonise with the existing wall. Local Civic Engineering and Construction experts, W M Donald, carried out the works to T.H.E’s designs also on a pro bono basis.

Image Gallery